NAU GPR Graduate Programs

General FAQ for 
NAU GPR Graduate Certificate Program Applications
(GIS & Community Planning)

Also see our General Graduate Application FAQ, which covers questions related to all of our GPR graduate programs.

1) When is the deadline for application to the certificate programs?

2) What are the requirements for admission to the certificate programs?

3) What is the total cost of the certificate?

4) Several thousand dollars (graduate tuition and fees) for a certification seems a bit steep.

5) How long it will take to finish the certificate.

6) Are the certificate courses based upon another Masters degree at NAU? What is it? Could some of the courses be counted toward another Masters degree at NAU?

         Yes. The courses are part of the Master of Science in Applied Geospatial Sciences degree (which is offered in our department) and the Master of Administration-Land Use Planning Emphasis (which is an interdisciplinary degree for mid-career professional and is offered through NAU Extended Campuses).

7) How difficult is it to change from the certificate program into the Masters of Applied Geospatial Sciences once you complete the certificate?

8) Can I apply the certificate courses to a Masters degree in a different department at NAU or at another university?

        Yes, but only with approval by the other department. Many Masters programs limit the number and type of classes that can be taken in departments outside of the home department for the degree. You would need to discuss this with your Masters Advisor. Any courses that are approved by the home department will be applied to both your Masters degree and the certificate at the same time (double dipping), and must be completed within 6 years of completing the Masters and the certificate, per NAU policy.

9) Are the online classes scheduled in a way that you can complete the certificate in 1 year?

10) Do I need to take the GRE for the certificate?

11) What are the admissions requirements to be qualified for the Certificate program?


12) Are all of these classes transferable to your Masters Program in case I decide to go further with my education?


13) Can I start classes at any time, or just at the start of the semester?


14) Is there a demo or test portal that I can log into to see how your online interface is set up for the classes?


15) What separates your online GIS program from the competition?


16) Where do I find and send the department application forms and letters?

** Click Here for GIS Certificate Application Information.

** Click Here for Community Planning Certificate Application Information.

The application form is mostly done online through the NAU Graduate College.


        Students from U.S. universities are required to submit an unofficial digital copy of their undergraduate transcripts with their application. They are only required to submit official transcripts after they have been admitted by the GPR Department. Students will not be able to enroll in classes until their official transcripts are received by NAU.

        Applicants with a Bachelor degree from NAU do not need to submit transcripts.

         Students from non-U.S. (international) universities must submit official transcripts to NAU before their application will be reviewed by the NAU Graduate Collage and the GPR Department.

         Official transcripts must be sent to the NAU Graduate College from your home university. You must request these separate from the NAU Graduate Collage application.


Other Notes